What does this doodle say to you?
Doodling is a great way to explore ideas without too much conscious attention.
What does this doodle say to you? My guess is that it will say different things to different people. It depends upon your current experience, your thoughts and your mood or ‘state’ as we might label it in NLP terms.
Here’s a closer look…
Click on the image to open it fully and look even more closely. begin to notice details that you hadn’t previously noticed.
I have shown it to a few people and asked the question… “If this doodle had a message for you, what would it be?” and got a surprising number of different replies:
- “It’s about how the sun is always in the sky, even when all you’re thinking of is the clouds.”
- “Even when you think you’ve solved a problem, something can come up that seems to set you right back to the beginning again and yet it’s not quite the same this time and you can keep going.”
- “The clouds are your problems. The sunshine is feeling better, sorting something out.”
- “Is it about depression and the depression can lift and come back and then lift again?”
- “The arrows are all the different paths if you want to escape from something.”
- “It’s about shortcuts. Sometimes you have to go the long way round to get out from under the grey sky but sometimes you might spot a short cut, and sometimes there’s an even shorter one.”
There isn’t a ‘right answer’. I was concentrating on something else at the time (my most interesting doodles seem to come during online meet-ups, TED talks or Tony Robbins videos). I would love to hear from you about what you make of it.
Better still, have a go yourself and maybe ask a few people what they make of your unconscious doodling.